Is Your Email Marketing Approach Backwards? « The Blog of Matthew Loop

Is Your Email Marketing Approach Backwards?

This is a post in response to one of the most commonly asked questions I get about how often to mail to your email list. Honestly, most are doing email marketing completely ass-backwards. By that, I’m referring to the frequency of communication.

If you’re on my list, you understand that you’ll get an email from me at least twice per week. Sometimes I may also send up to 5 emails in a week.

The inexperienced marketer may say that’s just way too many emails, but here’s the deal.

My content is not for everyone and I frankly I don’t want just anyone on my email list. I want people who are committed that I can build a relationship with, provide great business-building strategies to, and empower them with a skill-set that pays them over and over for life.

For every unsubscribe I get due to “way too many emails,” I gain 97 more email subscribers.

Far too many times businesses and marketers are concerned about the wrong things. I (like you should be) could care less about those that unsubscribe from my list or no longer elect to be a Facebook fan. I’m only looking to attract a certain type of person and not trying to appeal to everyone.

Think about this…

How often do you communicate with your best friend or close members of your family? There’s a good chance you talk to, Skype, or email them multiple times per week. Right?

I’m going to strongly encourage you to treat your email list like your family and keep in contact with them at minimum of a couple times per week.

This is hands-down one of the most important ways to build an active and responsive tribe. A few years ago I was skeptical until I began to send more emails myself. A funny thing happened, as I began to get more traffic, better social activity, and many more sales.

I’d recommend that 80% of your email content be value-driven and the other 20% be promotional. Also, train your readers to click. I go into that more in-depth in The Ultimate Email Marketing Domination Guide at the link below.

Did you like this post? If so, click the Facebook “like” button below and share it with your friends!

Related Blog Posts:

The Ultimate Email Marketing Domination Guide

Email Marketing Tips for Small Businesses

The Painful and Crippling Cost of Inaction

Simple Trick Gets QUALITY Facebook Fans Fast


Email Marketing $19/Month!

About the Author

Matthew Loop is an author, speaker, investor, philanthropist, and the highest paid social media revenue strategist in North America. He helps brands, startups, and small business owners multiply their influence, impact, and income by harnessing the power of the Internet. Since 2005 he’s trained over 21,000 clients in 25 countries. Millions have viewed his free business growth tutorials online. Connect with him on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.


2 Responses to “Is Your Email Marketing Approach Backwards?”

  1. Excellent Post Matt! I experience the exact same thing on my end. I too understand that my materials and marketing strategies are not for everyone. …but I choose to focus on the 2,500 people on my email list that want to hear from me vs. the 300 that don’t.

    In short, if you’re a chiropractor, focus on the people that want to hear from you and market to them often!! …sure you’ll have a few people that say, “I’m tired of getting mail/emails from you.” …or “You run too many in office promotions.” …BE DONE WITH THEM. If you focus on the few and what they “think about you”…it will destroy your business!

    Again, Excellent Post!!

  2. Matthew Loop says:

    Thanks Chris… This is one of those marketing lessons I wish I would’ve known sooner. You’re basically separating the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

Leave a Reply